Monday, June 21, 2010

Not-so-radom cycle-babble...

Okay, I am getting a little depressed when I look at the race calender for July. We got completely spoiled with a race Evey weekend in June. With Perry being rained out, the next one is a Fat Tire Series in Springfield the 11th. Not sure I am going to be able to make that one either... Some folks are going to race nationals in CO which would be awesome. However for me, I am going to try, but with a baby coming in September, not sure taking a week off in July is going to work....

Sunday was not a total loss, got the Cross Check out and rode a (mostly) gravel grinder with Darrel..

It was a nice change of pace to get in 4 hours of steady riding. Rather than 1.5hours of go as fast as you can till you can't go fast no mo racing...

Which brought me to the conclusion that not doing the Diry Kanza could have been one of the best decisions I have ever made! After 4 hours (approx just under 50 miles)I was spent. There is no way in hell I could go out there and do that for 15+ hours!!!
All kinds of respect for those fools who do that!

Anyway, it was a good ride, but I am missing the trails something awful. This weather is pissing me off..
Next post I will explain my thoughts that anything more than 5 gears on your mountain bike is utter useless crap you don't need.... 27 gears!?!? Give me a break, you don't need that crap in the midwest... Need to change some thought processes about bikes/gear....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the most awesome tan lines! Sorry about the missed turn on our journey to Clarksdale. I'll get it right next time!

DW

JDOUG said...

Yah, I'm burnt....

OLDFATSLOW said...

I am looking forward to your thoughts on "gears". Do you know how to shift? I seem to recall lots of crunching and grinding last time you rode anything with gears.
You know that someday, you to will be "old" and your knees will ache!

JDOUG said...

That is true, I went through rear cassetts quicker than breakpads..

Just because I am too dumb for gears does not mean I don't have a philosophy on them... Maybe a narrow view and not for everyone...

I don't think you "need" a small chain ring up front. There is one for ya!!!

OLDFATSLOW said...

Ride Krug backwards, and climb the chute. The first time going up is not to bad in the middle ring, but the second time around, that "little" chain ring comes in handy.
After all it is mountain bike "riding" not walking or carrying your bike!