Sunday, October 12, 2008

"Four Guys Who I Thought Were My Friends"

Is how the Crookster describes the start of our Sunday AM ride. He should never have crashed in Corby North. We were having such a good time we just rode past him. We didn't know he was unconscious. How can we be held responsible for him waking up in such a state with Missouri's finest woodsmen keeping him company.

Just kidding. The Crookster went down hard in Corby North. Too fast on the off camber curve that has knocked so many over. He rode that slide like a champ though. I was right up his ass and that freak of nature thinks so fast that he started crab walking off the trail as he was still sliding and bouncing on the ground. For my part, I locked up those BB5s (yeah they lock up sometimes) and did my best not to steam roll him. It would have been nasty if he hadn't of moved out of my way, cause when I finally stopped both wheels would have bounced over him.


So after the wreck the Crookster pretty much looked like the swamp thing with mud and shit hanging all over him.


Then we all stood around and made fun of him. TOUGH LOVE. (shit, I better never, ever, ever, wreck in front of anyone again - or if I do it better kill me).


So we kept rolling with just a couple short stops along the way to b.s. and catch our breaths.


Afterwards, the Hippie had a coronary, which was fun for all of us. I thought I would immortalize the moment, although I missed the part where he was digging in his pants. Dammit.


It was a good ride, and a good morning. On the way home Hoppe and I hit Karnes hill with some vengence. At the top he mumbles something about being able to get a good workout on the road with a single speed. I wasn't really listening, as I was trying not to pass out.... I did notice that ole zippy wasn't even out of breath when he said whatever it was though. So Jason, what are you charging for your hits? You just want to let me borrow your blackjack and I'll do the dirty business myself.


Kidding again, of course. Keep it coming, the faster the better I always say. MAKE IT HURT!

12 comments:

choppe said...

Nice pics, sweet that you got the skid marks posted. That was a most awesome wreck. Gotta hand it to the crookster for providing the entertainment with Jason not being around!!
Geez, with all the crashing going on today it seemed like we were having a damned sympathy ride for Jason!
Jason, I sure could have used that cookie this morning. Could have used the extra energy trying to keep up with Lansen on the GSC!
Anyway, we really missed you.
By the way Jason, not sure about everyone else but I have to work tomorrow. Much rather be riding though. Have fun if you get out there.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Crook, that was the sweetest drift I have ever witnessed...although I didn't see it like the 2 racy-types behind you, the tire marks spoke volumes! You need to keep doing that corner in a high speed drift and actually make it with both feet clipped in. 6 inch marks from both tires would be the ultimate.
Yesterday was a great ride and I have new scars to prove it, as my wife pointed out. Jason certainly missed out. My mangina hurts so I gotta go. The cameltoe hippie

JDOUG said...

Sorry I missed it fellas.. I had to go to church to get some brownie points from the big man. Somehow I think putting hits out on fast basterds is not going to be viewed as very moral on judgement day... So obvioulsy I need to stock up... (Be very afraid, you know who you are)

Lansen, I go off a sliding scale. Starting with small body parts and then it gets more expenive.. But there is a sale goign on right now for buy one knee cap get the other one for 50% off...

I am jealous off you guys, looked like a fun ride...

What the hell is the hippy doing laying on the ground?

Tenacious T said...

Speaking from experience, I disagree about the whole making it hurt and/or wrecking in order to be fast/faster.

So Jason and other newer guys, just remember that you can accomplish that same rush without having the pain and/or injury. I do it that way and plan to for many years to come.

Lansen said...

I believe it is all in good fun....

choppe said...

Here's a quote from Tinker Juarez...

"To be a cyclist is to be a student of pain... at cycling's core is pain, hard and bitter as the pit inside a juicy peach. It doesn't matter if you're sprinting for an Olympic medal, a town sign, a trailhead, or the rest stop with the homemade brownies. If you never confront pain, you're missing the essence of the sport. Without pain, there is no adversity. Without adversity, no challenge. Without challenge, no improvement. No improvement, no sense of accomplishment and no deep-down joy. Might as well be playing 'tiddly-winks'"

Let's all get real here.
I'm with Tinker and Lansen on this one

Lansen said...

I used to play tiddly winks with my great grandma. She was really good at it. She would scream in my ear "beeee the toooken!". When I missed my shot I would have to take laps around the block. Pain is the name of competitive tiddly winks. If you pussies really want to suffer, come on over for a game of tiddly winks... I'll be playing for my great grandma's honor, and you will feel my wrath. Jason, don't even bother showing up; you can't handle it!

And when I'm done pounding you in that game, I'll get out the "pick-up-sticks", then the "marbles", and finally the "jacks"; and then you will know the pain you never thought possible. I will make you cry.

Then to make you feel better, we'll go for a ride and that hill sprint won't seem so bad.

If you don't want a piece of that, I'll just see you on the trails and we'll have some fun!!!!!! Yipppeeeee!!!!!

BTW, I love that quote from Tinker.... and I love peaches!

JDOUG said...

Amen, Tinker!

And Jav, wrecking is not part of the plan.

Tenacious T said...

My racing results this year are real and I didn't have to wreck nor cry to accomplish them.

Glad there was discussion for newbies to ponder upon different perspectives of what is "good fun"/"deep-down joy " in cycling.

choppe said...

Come on Jav... No suffering, not even a little to get those results?
You love the pain, you know it and I applaud you for it.

Lansen, I'm partial to "pick up sticks" we just need to play it with accupuncture needles... my rules... Jason plays too

Lets get back to what's really important here... That picture of RT, he's just the shit is'nt he!?

Anonymous said...

Some times you guys scare me!

oldfatslow

Lansen said...

U shud b scared.